We bring together art education, mentoring, self-expression and peer support to help you achieve your personal goals in life and contribute to your community as working artists.
Each year we offer a 30-week photography program for adults and a 10-week program for teens. Classes are led by photography instructors with support from peer mentors and Ohio University photography students serving as volunteers and interns.
Is Athens Photo Project right for me?
Ever feel like your perspective doesn’t matter? That people don’t know the real you? Do you feel like you don’t matter to the world? Everyone experiences these feelings at times. But living with an ongoing mental health issue can allow these feelings to take over.
Many APP artists arrived feeling alone in the world. But when they learned to express their thoughts and emotions through photography, they found a new freedom. They renewed their relationships with nature, people and their community. It’s a kind of unpredictable magic that blossoms in our classes. There is no right or wrong way. You learn about the creative force inside you that emerges in the artistic process. This force brings a fresh vitality to how you see your world and how you see yourself.
Visit the become an artist page to learn about requisites to join us.
Sep 2017 – May 2018
- Introduction to Photography
- Learn to use your camera as a tool for self-expression.
- The Photo Series
- Learn how to create and sequence a photo series. Create your own photo book.
- Introduction to Mixed Media
- Broaden your self-expression by combining photography with other visual media and writing.
- The Art of Critique
- Deepen your understanding of art critique through personal reflection on the process, exposure to various methods, and experiential practice within a supportive group.
- Art Sales
- Join a peer-led group and develop skills to produce handcrafted photo products. Represent APP at various events and festivals throughout the year, including the popular Nelsonville Music Festival!
- Exhibition Committee
- Team with APP staff and artists to produce community exhibitions including APP’s annual juried exhibit, and APP’s permanent, rotating exhibits in Uptown Athens and at The Market on State.
June 2018 – August 2018
- Youth Photo Workshop
- Learn the basics of photography as a tool for self-expression. Create a public art installation using oversized wheatpaste posters.